The humble beginnings of The Eighty Twenty Collection

 In Fashion, Journey, Minimalist, Wardrobe

Ladies, let’s be honest. How much of your wardrobe do you really wear on a regular basis?

Often we find ourselves wearing only a small portion of our oversized fast fashion wardrobes regularly, and yet still face the conundrum ‘I have nothing to wear’.

What if instead you had a smaller but perfectly curated wardrobe? Ponder that for a moment.

My name is Clare. I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister. Like many other woman, I’m busy balancing home life, a day job, family and social commitments. Yoga, body balance, the coffee (and wine) ritual, Sundays and a beautiful support network keep me in check. I also happen to enjoy fashion as a way to express and celebrate me.

I like to think I inherited my fashion ethos for quality and style from my mother who was a stellar pattern maker and seamstress from a young age with an eye for achieving the perfect, but seemingly effortless outfit for any occasion.

A year or so after my daughter arrived, it’s fair to say my wardrobe had seen better days. In this new role of motherhood, I no longer have the time, headspace, inclination or disposable income to keep my wardrobe ‘up to date’.  It may seem trivial to some, but the struggle to pull together on point outfits was impacting how I felt about myself.

It became clear that I had zero interest in keeping pace with fast fashion trends. Instead I wanted good quality pieces that I looked and felt good in, and I wanted to enjoy and get the most out of them.

After being inspired by aspects of the classic French wardrobe, the capsule wardrobe, and minimalism, I’ve been on my own personal journey to simplify my wardrobe.

My approach is to achieve a streamlined wardrobe consisting of 80% of key pieces that I can mix and match, dress up or down and wear 80% of the time. These pieces are the bones of my effortless and versatile wardrobe. The remaining 20% of my wardrobe is for injecting more of my own personal style and fun.

Whilst my ideal Eighty Twenty wardrobe is still a work in progress I’m already enjoying the many benefits of a modest sized, high quality, flexible wardrobe. Less really is more. I no longer waste time and energy wondering ‘what am I going to wear?’. I no longer succumb to impulse spending, I no longer compromise on fit, colour, style or feel. The small quantity of items in my wardrobe are intentional:

  • I love them!
  • They are high quality: I enjoy nothing but the best week in, week out
  • They are flexible and functional: I can mix and match them with at least 5 other items
  • They suit my lifestyle: I can dress them up or down with ease

My quest to achieve the simplified Eighty Twenty wardrobe has challenged me to identify what I legitimately need, define and celebrate my own personal style, ruthlessly and deliberately purge my wardrobe, and purchase consciously.

I love embracing this quality over quantity approach so much that I feel compelled to share my journey and inspire other women to reap the same benefits.

I hope you enjoy The Eighty Twenty Collection website; a unique online marketplace with tips and tricks to support you to achieve your very own effortlessly chic Eighty Twenty wardrobe.

Recent Posts
Showing 4 comments
  • Cynthia
    Reply

    Wonderful concept! Especially as i stare at my wardrobe with about 90% of ‘stuff’ I just dont wear

    • EightyTwenty
      Reply

      Thanks so much Cynthia! I hope I have inspired you to make a change! x

  • contest
    Reply

    Hmm it seems like yoᥙr site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll јust
    sum it up what I had written and ѕay, I’m thoroughly enjoying y᧐ur blog.
    I too am an aspiгіng blog blogger bᥙt I’m still new to
    the whole thing. Do you have аny points for first-time
    ƅlog writers? I’d realⅼy ɑppreciate it.

    • EightyTwenty
      Reply

      Hi there, I’m sorry your first comment didn’t reach me! Thanks for your feedback regarding my blog, I’m glad you’re enjoying it :-). I too have only just started blogging. So far, my tips are to be authentic and write about things you are passionate about. I’m currently living by the quote ‘fearlessly be yourself’. Best wishes x

Leave a Comment

0